Alanna’s Water Birthing


Alanna’s Story

        On the morning of July 28 (Monday) I had an appointment at the eye doctor.  After which my parents and I went to lunch.  While leaving the restaurant, I felt a surge and stopped right in my tracks in front of the restaurant.  My mother looked at me and came to lend her arm to lean on.  She could tell that it was a contraction and she instructed me to start timing them.  This was the first one that I could tell was a true surge.  When I got home, I started having more and they were between 7 and 10 minutes apart.  The first one occurred around 1 pm.  One they started consistently being 7 minutes apart, I got into a tub of really warm water and stayed there for about an hour.  Water does kind of dull the pain.  

One sidenote…I live 2 1/2 hours away from the hospital. I figured I would labor at home since it is suggested. The surges came more regularly after getting out of the tub and I lay down to rest and.  Around 7:30 pm that evening of the 28th, I finally told my mother that I needed to go to the hospital and called my midwife to let her know she would be expecting me.  By the time we left the house, I was surging every 5 minutes.  During the entire trip I was surging every 5, then 3, then 1 minute.  I was about 15 minutes from the hospital when the instinct to bear down kicked in.   I was kind of freaking out because I did not want to have the baby in the car.  I think I scared my dad, who was driving.  He was very nervous. But we finally got there, they literally ran me to labor and delivery.  I could not get into the birthing pool until my midwife arrived which I was kind of upset about…Anyway, she came within 20 minutes and I finally got in the tub.  I was trying to hold on until hubby arrived but she was not waiting. She came out in the water sack because my water did not break and when I asked about it, the midwife said she was crowning.  Eric came two minutes after she arrived but came just in time to cut the cord.  It was lovely.  My mother was there and she was just snapping pictures…so were the nurses.  All in all I really enjoyed this experience and it was a very comfortable and relatively easy birth.  When you see the pictures, I may look like I am in pain but I actually wasn’t, it was just that the whole bearing down was uncontrollable and I didn’t want her to come until her daddy got there.  She had other plans. Thank you for everything.  It was the best experience.— Alanna

Copyright © Dandelion by Pexeto